Skip to main content

Montara Mountain Marathon: Getting The Hay In The Barn.

Advantage: I know this course backward and forward.

Disadvantage: Something's up with my knee, and something's up like I'm getting sick plus my head's not in the game because I'm worried about the first two things.

The few days prior to taking off for Pacifica, my plan was to just pretend everything was fine.  Even when we got there and my throat felt crummy, and I had no idea if my knee would hold up for one loop let alone 4...
Everything is so totally fine. 
I thought, I'll wake up and get ready and feel fine...I'll get to the park and warm up and feel fine...I'll start the race and feel fine. I woke up, and my throat still felt crummy. I warmed up, and my knee hurt. I started the race, and I wasn't sure how far I could make it.

GeNene had said to me, in my pre race pep talk, "You know your body, and if your knee is hurting or you're not feeling good, you know when to stop." I smiled. I nodded. She gets me, I thought.

She paused and then added, "BUT DON'T GIVE UP."

Soooo....looks like giving up is not an option 
The Marathon course goes like this...run a little over three miles up to the North Peak of Montara Mountain (just under 2,000 ft)(grab a rubber band to prove you were there) (freaking best views you could ever imagine) then run back down. Head out on the Hazelnut loop on a one mile annoying climb then run back down. Then have fun on one more kick in the pants two-ish mile climb with mind numbing switchbacks. Then run back down to the start/finish.

Repeat. All of that.

On the first trip up the mountain I wasn't feeling it. My body was beat barely a mile in. I followed the others up the dark tree covered single track before the trail opened up to the sunshine and the amazing views.

After finally reaching North Peak, I looked around at the other people I'd been running with who were standing on top of a mountain with me. Everyone was smiling, taking pictures, pointing at Mount Diablo or San Francisco off in the distance. Everyone around me was filled with joy. Time to stop thinking and just run. Quit feeling pitiful and just get the miles done.
.            


So I got the miles done. It kind of just happened. Everything felt so off that day, but it made more sense when, by the next night, I was completely knocked out with a cold.
I got third in my age group don't ask me how. 
I spent most of the following week on the couch getting caught up on The Walking Dead. I also felt like The Walking Dead when I dragged myself to a meeting on Wednesday. It wasn't until the next weekend that I started to panic because, well...it's a week until Way Too Cool and I'm couging my guts out with sinus pressure like my face is going to explode. I asked friend-from-Twitter-Meg (@shatterday) for some guidance, and she delivered. That night I started on an Elderflower syrup regimine. I steamed with Eucalyptus oil. I ate spoonfuls of organic raw honey with lemon and cayenne, and I drank a tea of crushed anise seed and garlic (that stuff is no joke). GeNene made me a kick ass miso soup the next day with shiitake mushroom.

Here I sit on Thursday night, 36 hours before a 50k, feeling 100% back in action.

Stay tuned for tales from Cool.












Comments

  1. WOW! That's a tough course when everything is going well - I can't imagine how you held in there and got it done; very impressive!

    (And I can't believe I never saw you at WTC. A failure on my part!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I saw you at the start! I was over on the other side of the road when the herd passed, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e